Monday, June 9, 2008

Introduction


Hello all.

This will be by third greeting to everyone. I thought I would change it up a bit. As I said in my discussion and email introductions, I am a PhD student in Mass Communications. I also work for the same School. My job function will be changing shortly because on June 30th my portion of the School of Mass Communications and Journalism will no longer be 'Broadcasting and Media Production Services" we will be the "Student Media Center." For me that means continuing to teach 10 hours each semester. I will also serve as an academic adviser and as the Assistant Director of Television Operations (I think that is the official title). All of this changes July 1st so we will see how that changes my daily function on campus!

Including this summer session, I have 12 hours left of course work. I am scheduled to finish in December. My initial plan was to take my comprehensive exams in February. However, my husband I are expecting our first child in mid-December so Comps will have to wait until June!

I really want to take what I learn in this course and incorporate it into the classes I teach. I had at one time implemented several online learning tools in my teaching and, for several reasons, have strayed from using it. I really want to begin implementing the tools again with the hope that it will benefit my students. This fall will start my 5th year of college teaching, two years in western NY at SUNY Fredonia and my third year here at Southern Miss.

I also posted a picture to make the most of my first ever blog post. I took this picture on the porch of College Hall. Part of my current function in my job was to create the opening montage for Southern Miss Magazine, a show that aired on Comcast 11. This photo was part of the montage and is one of my favorites!

Other information about me, I grew up in Endwell, NY (outside of Binghamton, NY). I spent my summers on Oquaga Lake. I definitely miss NY, especially in the fall and when it is as hot as it is now!! Unfortunately, my free time is limited... even more so come December! But I do enjoy reading when I find the time.

See Oquaga Lake in the Fall!

No comments: