Monday, July 7, 2008

Reflections on Week 3/4

Assignment #3

The assignment for this week and the week previous was to create a website about ourselves using Google Page Creator. This was also a great project (I am not trying to suck up). I now plan to use Google Creator to create an online resource for some of my fall classes. It is so easy to use. I do wish there were a few more options to customize it because I did not really like any of the color themes presented. The two HTML and Javascript classes I took while working on my Masters degree were so long ago that it is hard to remember. I think I need to go back through those notes and tutorials to really make the website my own. Then I could just use the template that gives you the whole page and I would be able to customize it. I would have liked to add buttons and not text links. But, I have since found that code so I can due that much in the future.

I think the biggest mistake that a faculty member can make when designing a website is to make it too complicated by adding so many bells and whistles that students cannot find what they are looking for. I think the 3-click rule that I mentioned in my discussion board post is the rule to live by when creating a website such as this one. I think that it is also important that the design be simple and consistent. This includes text color combinations that are easy to read. I know I have been on so many sites where the background and text colors offset each other and it appears that the text is moving on the page (just skim through Facebook and MySpace pages). It is amazing that we have now created two assignments that all stemmed from Google, both the blog and this assignment.

I feel I accomplished the goal of this assignment pretty well. I now am familiar with an easy way to create a website. As I already said, I think I could meet the goals of this assignment better by reviewing my HTML so that I could actually create more interactivity and allow web links to open in separate suggestions (as Dr. Yuen appropriately suggested). Like the blogs, I enjoyed looking at everyone else’s websites. I feel like even though we are not meeting in person, I am actually getting to know the class pretty well. The more pictures people post and the more anecdotes they share about their lives, the more I feel I know about people.

One of the requirements of this assignment seemed minor, but I found it to be immensely helpful. It was the requirement that told us to list the “created on” and “updated on” date on the bottom of the page. I would never think to do this; however, I ALWAYS check this on sites I visit. I want to be sure that the information is as up-to-date as possible. Now people will know whether my information is new or up-to-date. I also think the Vita portion was wonderful. I think after the course I may work on the site and rededicate it to this purpose. I could stream portions of videos I have done and put them on YouTube and then link to them. It would be a great tool for further advertising yourself when you send out resumes. I may put one together for my husband. The updated link will let the reader know that it is in fact an updated place to find information. My husband will be defending in the spring and if he has passed his defense after sending out the applications he can say so on the website.

Course Material

Since the first two threaded discussions reflected the lecture material, I will not be redundant. I did just read this Reuters article about technology in the classroom and thought it was relevant. It is worth reading (I actually saved it). I think the greatest thing about web-based instruction is its limitless possibilities and its great ability to reach people where they are. That is so important in today’s world where we are constantly in overdrive. It allows people to work and attend school without having to leave their jobs. It also can help stay at home parents continue to care for their children while pursuing a degree. The issue of that personal quality that gets lost is important to consider. I do not think web-based instruction will ever completely replace face-to-face instruction, but it certainly has its place. For instance, I would not want my heart surgeon earning his degree online! But, there are plenty of classes that do work online.

In terms of web design and development, I had several people who emailed me and told me they were saving my post as a reference. What a compliment! I already mentioned about simplicity in design and the 3-click rule. However, I think it is also important to briefly mention a couple of other things I said. The first thing I always do when creating a site is to see what others have done. I make a point to look at sites that have a similar focus and ones that are different; it provides the broadest range of ideas. I also think preplanning is so important. If you do not create a site map, it will take FOREVER to build the site because you never know if you are done! It also helps to ensure your design is logical and that the material is easy to find. One of the other important steps I mentioned was the testing phase. It is important to test yourself, but it is even more important to have those unfamiliar with your site test it. They will find bugs much faster. As a whole, I think the possibilities for web-based instruction are really only just beginning to be realized. I am so glad we did this project because now I know I can create a site without programming it from scratch or using WebCT. I am much more apt to do it now. My goal is to determine how to password protect documents on Google Pages or find another site that’s as easy to use that does have this feature (I will then link to it from Google Pages).

No comments: